[hobbit] Hobbit client feature request: bb client compatible mode

T.J. Yang tj_yang at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 25 23:37:32 CEST 2006

>From: "Gary Baluha" <gumby3203 at gmail.com>
>To: hobbit at hswn.dk
>Subject: Re: [hobbit] Hobbit client feature request: bb client compatible
>mode
>Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 16:32:44 -0400
>
>I feel your pain, as we too are migrating our BB server (actually, servers)
>into a single Hobbit server.  To add to the complexity, the hobbit server
>is
>on an entirely different subnet (and thus IP) as the BB server, so ACL
>changes need to be made as well.
>
>However, considering the many additional features Hobbit has that BB
>doesn't, I think in the end it actually makes it easier to manually convert
>everything to the Hobbit server syntax.  It also forces you to look in to
>some of the additional features in Hobbit.  However, if you aren't so
>concerned about using the additional features (except for the trend
>graphing), the only thing that should be required to get it working in
>"compatibility" mode is just add the hosts on the server to the bb-hosts
>file, and repoint the BB clients to the new Hobbit server (and hope ACL
>changes aren't also required).
>
>What specifically is slowing you down in your migration?

Two benefits for this request.
1. replace per-seat license bb client with hobbit client to save
administration overhead(ie, counting number of bb clients and paying the
license).
2. Avoid the rrd and logfile migration from bb to hobbit.
    one can have both bb and hobbit server up and receiving bb messages.
once new hobbit server
    contain one year data/logs then bb server can be turn off.

tj