[hobbit] Sending data from script to an rrd

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 20:24:06 CEST 2006

On 10/18/06, Rob Munsch <rmunsch at solutionsforprogress.com> wrote:

> I've gone over the manpages and i'm still confused, sorry. Do i need to
> call another channel with the --extra-tests option?  Is it in a config
> file somewhere?  The sample script of "weather in Copenhagen" is a
> little opaque, it just shows a bunch of echoes but not their context.
> Is THAT script called by another within hobbit?  Lastly is there a howto
> somewhere for exporting one's custom script data to RRD?

When you add the --extra-script option in the [rrdstatus] block, what
you're doing is handing the hobbit_rrd program another way to process
information.  Your script is fired up with the hostname, column name
and the name of a file containing the log message, all on the command
line.  The hobbit_rrd then watches the script's standard output for
dataset definitions (in case the RRD doesn't exist yet), then a number
of colon-separated values to stuff into the RRD.  hobbit_rrd takes
care of the RRD creation and stuffing, you just need to echo out the
correct format.

It took me several iterations to get this straight... :)

Ralph