[hobbit] ARM platform

Jeff Stoner stoner-lists at comcast.net
Wed Oct 11 04:29:07 CEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 08:31 +0200, Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 09:23:48PM -0400, Jeff Stoner wrote:
> > I'll ask but I suspect I know what the answer is already: has anyone
> > done a port to the ARM platform yet? Specifically, I'm using a Intel
> > XScale PXA255 on a Gumstix (http://www.gumstix.com).
> >
> > It's situations like this where autoconf comes in real handy. I imagine
> > I'll have to hack the entire configure "system" to get this working.
>
> It's more of a question what OS is on these boxes. As far as I can
> see from the webpage they are running Linux, so it really should
> compile "out of the box" without any problems.

Except, I'm cross-compiling on a x86 system. I didn't install a compiler
toolchain on my device so I can't "./configure; make; make install". The
config scripts don't let me specify specific libraries - I have to hack
them apart so they use my ARM-compiled libraries, not the x86 system
libraries. Once I have all that in place, I can write a top-level
Makefile fragment and incorporate hobbit into Buildroot
(www.buildroot.org) which is used to manage development, from the
toolchain itself to the kernel and packages to building the root
filesystem for loading into flash.

It'll be a fun exercise. I'm starting with the client-only portion of
Hobbit, then I'll move on to the server. I can document the whole
process so others can benefit.

> consuming. So I try to write code that is portable instead. So far, it
> has worked well :-)

Some of reasons I'm using hobbit:
- I know you write good code
- Hobbit's channels is a unique feature that I really like
- I can completely replace the web interface

-Stoner