[hobbit] WebSphere Monitoring

Allan Spencer allan at zandahar.net
Thu Nov 16 23:56:19 CET 2006

James Wade wrote:
> Hi Allan,
>
> I tried adding another logfile monitor today,
> and I didn't have much success. I put it on
> both the client side and server side, but it
> never seemed to send any data.
>
> HOST=myhost
>      LOG /opt/WebSphere/AppServer3/log/Weblog.out
>
> Put it in the localclient.cfg on the client, and
> in the hobbit-clients.cfg on the server.
>
> I was looking for things to monitor in the log file.
> Any suggestions for most failing types for Websphere?
> What's the script that calls the server status?
>
> Is there something that will give me the server status
> for every instance running, or do I have to know
> the port numbers and instances?
>
> Thanks...James

My suggestion would be to have a hunt through man pages and the mailing
list archives at http://www.hswn.dk/hobbiton/ for some of the threads
about log monitoring
Error codes could be fun although if you know of some error that happens
then you can grab that one particular code and string and monitor for
that, but otherwise for me or anyone else to be able just hand over any
old codes to monitor would be far from ideal.

As for the status script its located in the AppServer/bin directory
called serverStatus.sh
If you call it as 'serverStatus.sh -all' it will give you a status about
all the individual servers but only running or started
Only thing youd have to do form there is turn it into a form of hobbit
script although there may already be one out there on http://www.deadcat.net

Allan