[hobbit] Different Custom Graph Question

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Nov 6 15:56:22 CET 2006

On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 09:32:31AM -0500, Kern, Thomas wrote:
> I have a custom client running on a z/VM system with the hobbit server
> being run by a different group in our organization. I would like to
> provide CPU data on a smaller interval, such as 1 minute. I have
> modified my client to do that. Now comes the question, can the rrd files
> for my host be modified to record and report on that finer interval
> without altering the setups for all the other hosts that are being
> monitored?

You would have to create a custom RRD file by hand, but once it's been
created Hobbit should update and graph it OK. Check the "rrdcreate"
man-page from RRDtool for details, but a command like this should do
get you started:

rrdtool create la.rrd -s 60 \
	DS:la:GAUGE:120:0:U \
	RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:2880 \
	RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:2880 \
	RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:2880 \
	RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:2880

The "-s 60" means that data arrives every 60 seconds, and the "120" in
the second line means that there cannot be more than 120 seconds between
updates for the data to be valid.