[hobbit] log file monitoring

Rolf Schrittenlocher Schrittenlocher at rz.uni-frankfurt.de
Thu Nov 2 13:20:23 CET 2006

Hi Henrik,

thanks for the help and the fast reply! But one more question: Even
though the client doesn't send new data, is it possible that the server
displays the old data if you click on the "Full log /var/adm/messages"
link (or any other log) on the page
"...bb-hostsvc.sh?HOST=lbsdb&SERVICE=msgs"? Is the data still available
on the server or is it overwritten each time the client sends something?
If so, I'd like to modify hobbit in a way that each time a new log
arrives at the server this is stored somewhere else and we would make it
available with a link. Could you indicate the files to edit for that
purpose? Or perhaps, if there is already a command for cutting the
section code out from a clients message we could trigger that each time
a client sends something new.

This would be helpful to monitor logs manually. Reason: We often have
customers demands' to look for special entries in (application)logs
which don't trigger a yellow or red alarm. These logs are spread all
over the machines and we hope to get a single point of entry for all
logs using hobbit.

kind regards
Rolf

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Rolf Schrittenlocher

HRZ/BDV, Senckenberganlage 31, 60054 Frankfurt
Tel: (49) 69 - 798 28908   Fax: (49) 69 - 798 28817
LBS: lbs-f at mlist.uni-frankfurt.de
Persoenlich: schritte at rz.uni-frankfurt.de