[hobbit] hobbit-alerts.cfg with TIME option

Shane Presley shane.presley at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 20:14:45 CET 2006

On 11/1/06, Henrik Stoerner <henrik at hswn.dk> wrote:
> I think it could be related. I haven't found out exactly what happens,
> but it looks like the second e-mail is not being considered until the
> repeat-interval for the first e-mail triggers. In other words, after
> sending email #1, the rules for email #2 are ignored for 1440 minutes.
>
> Which - obviously - is not what should happen.
>
> Could you try if swapping those two MAIL lines changes anything ? If my
> suspicion is right, then it should work if you have the time-restricted
> MAIL line first.

I spent awhile troubleshooting this today, and found that it does
appear to be related to the REPEAT options, but I can't find a way to
make it work.

-Changing the order of the lines (placing the time-restricted line
first) didn't help.  It would still e-mail me at the first instance of
the failure, but then not move on to the time-restricted statement
when that time hit.

-I tried lowering the ALERTREPEAT value in hobbitserver.cfg, restart
hobbit, then use REPEAT= statements individually for each MAIL
statement, and it still behaved the same.  It would notify me, but
fail to send a notification once the time statement was matched.

-I tried removing the local REPEAT= statements, and kept a low
ALERTREPEAT in hobbitserver.cfg, and of course that worked fine.  It
would e-mail me (and repeat as needed) and would also e-mail the
second user once the time statement was matched.

-I then even tried to be tricky, creating two individual rules...
PAGE=vpn
       MAIL me at domain.com REPEAT=1400
PAGE=vpn
       MAIL another at domain.com TIME=*:0700:1700 REPEAT=1400

And that still failed.  It would notify me at domain.com, but never
trigger the another at domain.com rule, even once the time hit.

So it appears I can't find a way to make escalation work, when I have
attempted to turn off the repeat function?

Unless I'm doing something wrong...

Thanks,
Shane