[hobbit] Some configuration questions

Hubbard, Greg L greg.hubbard at eds.com
Wed May 31 18:40:21 CEST 2006

Regarding topology --

The fully-fleshed out route statement almost mirrors a "traceroute"
function.  The topology is really a multiway tree, rooted in the Hobbit
server itself (or rooted in each network test server, anyway).  To me,
multi-way means more than two branches from a node.  I believe multiway
trees can be described as a list of parent-child relationships.  The
challenges are many, especially if there are gaps in the path.  This has
always been part of the network management tool challenge.  And purists,
of course, will say that just because things are wired in a certain path
doesn't mean that traffic goes that way...

So I guess it depends on how much work you want to do in the software
versus in bb-hosts.

My hierarchy is pretty simple, so I can go through and make the changes
by hand to provide the explicit end-to-end path from the Hobbit server
to each host.

But down the road, it would be cool if the Hobbit server could process
the bb-hosts file and either a) automatically discover the path to each
host with traceroute, and use this to build the dependency tree, or b)
let the admin specify the parent for each host, and build up the levels
internally.  Each approach has warts and programming challenges.

But thanks for the clarification, and all the hard work.  It is hard for
one programmer to keep hundreds of people happy -- but you are doing a
great job!

GLH