[hobbit] Hobbit + MRTG

Taylor, Robert Robert.Taylor at HendrickAuto.com
Sun May 21 19:13:18 CEST 2006

I use MRTG and Hobbit to monitor routers and switches.  My config
basically is a follows:

1.  bbmrtg.sh runs on a host that collects all of our bandwidth
information.
2.  bbmrtg.sh sends the information to Hobbit.
3.  Hobbit displays it as a mrtg column similar to the way that it used
to work in Big Brother.

I have reconfigured bbmrtg.sh to work with the 14all.cgi application
instead of the original configuration as 14all.cgi allowed me to display
performance in a per-minute graph as opposed to the 5 minute graph that
was originally displayed.

The mrtg column shows a 6 hour bandwidth view and still alerts based on
the pre-defined thresholds.  If there is a particular host that I want
to represent the bandwidth for then I just add that port to the
bbmrtg.sh configuration file.

If I could get Hobbit to display graphs on finer detail for bandwidth
then I would likely move things off of the mrtg host that I am using
now, but I just haven't given it a good look.

The other main reason that I like bbmrtg.sh is that I don't have to mess
with any of my mrtg configuration files.  From what I have seen in other
configurations I have to go into the mrtg files and edit them
individually before Hobbit would recognize them.  I could be wrong on
this, but that is what I recall.

I have left things this way as opposed to moving them into the trends
section of Hobbit as I prefer to have 1 minute averages versus the 5
minute ones as it is a little easier to spot problem situations when
there is greater granularity in the graph.

Robert Taylor | Senior Manager of Information Systems | Hendrick
Automotive Group