Possible bugs

Kolbjørn Barmen kolbjorn.barmen at uninett.no
Mon May 15 10:40:58 CEST 2006

On Tue, 9 May 2006, Henrik Stoerner wrote:

> > * Menu: Administration -> Find No matter what host I search for, the
> > resulting page claims the machine location is "Top page" - I wonder,
> > could this be so because I use alternate pages for all hosts?
>
> It is. The current "alternate page" system is a rather ugly hack I did
> for Big Brother back in the days when Hobbit was just generating some
> webpages through the bbgen tool - it really just does a dynamic re-write
> of the bb-hosts file when it is loaded into bbgen for generating the
> overview web pages.
>
> You'll probably also see the wrong location on the "info" status page
> for your hosts.

Yes.

> Hobbit has never really been aware that a host can appear on different
> pages, depending on the page-set you use. I need to implement that, but
> it will require adding the page-set as a parameter for all of the
> dynamically generated webpages.

OK, I see.

I guess there are too many issues with using alternate pages that I'll
drop using them for now, and rather use two installations or even two
machines.

> > * The Help-menu assumes that hobbit-URL is /hobbit, which is not the
> > case for me at least, so I put an alias for /hobbit/ in my apache
> > config.
>
> Hmm - it shouldn't. The URL for the help system is configured into the
> menu_items.js file when you build Hobbit. Perhaps you configured it for
> /hobbit/ the first time ? Since this file is end-user configurable, it
> will not be overwritten when you upgrade or re-install Hobbit.

I installed the debian package from
http://www.hswn.dk/hobbitsw/hobbit-client_4.2-alfa-20060423_i386.deb

I did find the menu_items.js and edited it (and added some more shortcuts
that are usefull for us), so no problem :)

> > * Missing manpages:
> >   /hobbit/help/manpages/man1/hobbit-confreport.cgi.1.html
> >   /hobbit/help/manpages/man1/hobbit-statusreport.cgi.1.html
> >   /hobbit/help/manpages/man1/hobbit-ackinfo.cgi.1.html
> >   /hobbit/help/manpages/man1/hobbit-nkview.cgi.1.html
> >   /hobbit/help/manpages/man1/hobbit-nkedit.cgi.8.html
> >   (the latter should probably be in man8 anyhow, I guess)
>
> Yep, these are on my list of missing docs.

OK :)

> > * I'm probably stupid or lazy, but I cant make any sense of the NK
> >   editor, nothing happens when I try to use it, and the man pages are
> >   missing. My /etc/hobbit/hobbit-nkview.cfg exists and is writeable for
> >   the webserver, the search button gives no results, and the apache log
> >   doesnt say much either. Any tip?
>
> I'll add some examples of how to use it in the docs. Probably as an HTML
> document with some screen-shots.

Great!

--
Kolbjørn Barmen