[hobbit] Testing PPTP connection

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon May 8 07:41:55 CEST 2006

On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 06:19:27PM -0400, David Gilmore wrote:
> Is it possible to test a PPTP connection from within hobbit.  I am currently
> testing the firewalls with ICMP, but that does not always correspond to
> being able to establish a VPN connection.  I need to be able to pass
> username, password, and domain.

It won't be easy to do a full PPTP connection handshake. You might be
able to script something using the Linux/*BSD pptp client from
http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/

A quick solution would be to just test if TCP port 1723 accepts
connections - this is the port used for the initial pptp connection
setup. You can add this to ~hobbit/server/etc/bb-services:

[pptp]
   port 1723

Then you can setup your PPTP servers in bb-hosts, with a "pptp" test
listed. It will only check that the port is open, but it's a simple
test that should catch some problems (e.g. if the service has not been
started, or if it has crashed).