[hobbit] Fping ...

JT Justman jt-lists at sirius.airdelights.com
Thu Mar 9 20:51:56 CET 2006

Launce wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> Ok, I am fairly successful with my roll-out so far, the help here has
> been great, thanks!
>
> So, todays issue is fping, I am getting the following out of my error logs:
>
> 2006-03-09 11:14:37 Execution of '/usr/local/sbin/fping -Ae' failed -
> program not suid root?
> however when running an ls -al it shows:
>
> -rwxrwxrwt   1 root    root      47723 Mar  7 10:53 fping

Whoa, that's a weird mode. Something funny going on in your server?
Check out your other binaries for odd perms. Nothing should be
world-writable.

In any case, the SUID bit can be set with:

$ chmod 4755 /usr/local/sbin/fping

HTH,

JT

--
	|Waiting to fix the world since 1995|
"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to