conn test periodically fails (fping execution code 99)

Brian Bernstein bernie9998 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 19:02:18 CEST 2006

I am having some trouble with the hobbit monitoring server.

While at first, it seemed to be functioning fine, a few minutes later,
the conn test failed across the board, and I received a yellow warning
under the bbtest column.

The actual error message under the bbtest details stated:
Error output:
Execution of '/usr/sbin/fping -Ae' failed with error-code 99
fping invocation failed: No such file or directory

This is really weird, as the output of 'ls -l /usr/sbin/fping' shows
that it is in fact there, and all have permissions to execute it:
-rwsr-xr-x  1 root root 23600 Jun  2  2005 /usr/sbin/fping

Not to mention that this problem seems to be periodic, and not continual.
The test will fail about every 3-5 minutes and then succeed about
another 3-5 minutes later,
only the repeat the process again.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm running this on Fedora Core 2,