Hobbit tracking of data from ORCA

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Jun 20 15:27:13 CEST 2006

Our Solaris group here is using ORCA to collect various performance
metrics about their servers.

However, the ORCA data collection is somewhat fickle, and it is
annoying to have two systems tracking data. So the question was:
Can Hobbit be used to collect these data instead ?

I've had a look at ORCA, and it does seem like it would be possible
to just use the ORCA data collector (orcallator.se) and feed those
data into Hobbit. A special back-end module could then process these
into RRD files, and graph them with hobbitgraph. This would be rather
trivial to do - most of the work would be to setup the hobbitgraph
definitions to match those graphs currently available in ORCA.

But before I do that - how many people are actually using ORCA?
Their website appears to be on-line, but no updates have appeared
for a couple of years.