[hobbit] turning up (way up) debugging for the conn tests

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Jun 19 22:44:16 CEST 2006

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 04:08:06PM -0400, Tom Georgoulias wrote:

> 1.  How may pings are sent by fping to each host, by default?  If I
> understand what the man page says, fping will send several before giving
> up.  If fping gets a reply from the first, does it continue to send more?

fping sends 4 ping probes: One initial probe, and 3 retries.

> 2. How can I turn up the debugging output for the conn tests, beyond
> this line in my [bbnet] config in hobbitlaunch.cfg:
>
> CMD bbtest-net --report --ping --checkresponse --debug --timing

There's no more debugging to add. The --debug option should leave the
fping logs in the ~hobbit/server/tmp/ directory, so any error output
from fping will be saved there.

> Is there one I can add for bbretest, since it'll be handling the network
> tests after the first conn failure?

The bbretest-net.sh script runs bbtest-net, so you can use the same
options there. If you define the FPING setting with debug options for
fping, then those will also be used by the re-tests.

> 3.  Would a hobbit network test ever initiate a connection using UDP on
> a high numbered port, like 37383?

No.