[hobbit] TIME alert problems (still)

Mike Rowell Mike.Rowell at Rightmove.co.uk
Mon Jun 19 16:58:31 CEST 2006

Thanks for this information Henrik,

One small problem, I'm running the 4.2 beta snapshot from a few days
after release, I'm getting this in the log files.

2006-06-19 14:56:58 Ignored unknown/unexpected token
'EXTIME=W:0900:1700' at line 131
2006-06-19 14:56:58 Ignored unknown/unexpected token
'EXTIME=*:0200:0700' at line 137

Can you let us know if it's the current snapshot we need to run to use
this feature?

Regards,

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Henrik Stoerner [mailto:henrik at hswn.dk]
Sent: 19 June 2006 13:47
To: hobbit at hswn.dk
Subject: Re: [hobbit] TIME alert problems (still)

Hi Mike,

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 11:55:53AM +0100, Mike Rowell wrote:

> So what you're saying is that when you have a TIME blackout window for
> service, even if the last rule for that service has STOP after it, the
> alerts continue until it finds a rule it can send with?

Yes.

> That if it is what you are saying is not something I would be
expecting.

OK, let me try and explain why that is. From your other email I gather
your alert configuration (lines 134-139) is like this:

HOST=*
    MAIL=sysalert SERVICE=aq FORMAT=PLAIN REPEAT=1h COLOR=yellow
    MAIL=support SERVICE=aq COLOR=RED FORMAT=SMS DURATION>5 REPEAT=1h
TIME=W:0900:1700 STOP
    MAIL=systems at rightmove.co.uk COLOR=red,yellow REPEAT=1h FORMAT=PLAIN
    MAIL=support-rightmove at mail.sms2email.com COLOR=RED FORMAT=SMS
DURATION>5 REPEAT=1h

The STOP keyword means (from the man-page):
       "STOP Stop looking for more recipients after this one matches."
So STOP only applies for rules that are positively matched (ie. they did
result in an alert being sent).

If STOP meant "after seeing this rule, whether it matched or not, stop
looking for any more recipients" - then your two last lines (the
"catch-all"
rules) would never trigger because there's a STOP rule in front of them.
And that is not what you would expect either.

I *think* that what you want is to have "sysalert" and "support" alerted

on weekdays, and the "systems at ..." and "support-rightmove at ..." alerted
outside this time window. May I suggest

TIME=W:0900:1700 SERVICE=aq
    MAIL=sysalert COLOR=yellow FORMAT=PLAIN REPEAT=1h
    MAIL=support  COLOR=red    FORMAT=SMS DURATION>5 REPEAT=1h

EXTIME=W:0900:1700

hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk

This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs service.