[hobbit] [feature request] --follow http redirect support come back

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Jun 8 22:28:37 CEST 2006

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 05:15:25PM +0200, Charles Goyard wrote:
> Since bbgen 3.x, the libcurl has been dropped
> for bbtest-net, and the ability to follow Redirects for http
> disappeared. Of course, I need it for some major websites. I have
> several options :
[snip]
> (1) Henrik, have you got any plans of
> making the http redirect back to work ? (please please please :)).

I do, but it won't happen in the near future. So you may want to
try out the custom script mechanism until I get around to it.

My hope is that this will be a rather easy thing to do, once I
get around to rewriting the network tester so that it can engage
in a real dialogue. Currently the network tester connects,
sends something, and grabs the response. Period. It won't look
at the response and go "hey, I need to send another request"
and then do that. This is also causing problems for e.g. SMTP
checks, because the current default Hobbit setup is actually
not SMTP protocol compliant - and a few SMTP servers out there
actually complain about it, causing Hobbit to think they are
out of order, when in fact they are running fine.

So - the plan is to put some more advanced communications
mechanism into the network tester, and with that in place it
should be easier to provide the redirect-support you need.