[hobbit] LOG monitoring from serverside

Dominique Frise Dominique.Frise at unil.ch
Thu Jun 8 15:58:14 CEST 2006

ZanDAhaR wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have been playing with the latest release of the client and sever over
> the past few days and have managed to get everything working (and some
> cool new bits) apart from the log file monitoring. I can get it so it
> shows the log file on the hobbit display/web but I cannot get it to
> search for anything and cause a status change
>
> I have this in client-local.cfg
> [db184.corporatesystems.com.au]
> file:/usr/bin/make
> file:/usr/bin/gcc
> log:/var/log/messages:10240
>
> And then this in the hobbit-clients.cfg
>
> HOST=db184.corporatesystems.com.au
>    PORT "LOCAL=%([.:]10042)" state=LISTEN TEXT=WEBMIN
>    PORT "LOCAL=%([.:]22)" state=LISTEN TEXT=SSH
>    PORT "LOCAL=%([.:]50000)" state=LISTEN TEXT=DB2
>    PROC cron 1 -1 yellow
>    FILE /usr/bin/make MODE=644
>    FILE /usr/bin/gcc MODE=644
>    LOG /var/log/messages verify COLOR=yellow
>
> This is a few lines from the log
>
> [root at db184 root]# cat /var/log/messages |grep Verify
> Jun  5 03:00:04 db184 kernel: 3w-xxxx: scsi2: AEN: INFO: Verify started:
> Unit #0.
> Jun  5 05:41:17 db184 kernel: 3w-xxxx: scsi2: AEN: INFO: Verify
> complete: Unit #0.
> Jun  8 15:30:27 db184 kernel: 3w-xxxx: scsi2: AEN: INFO: Verify started:
> Unit #0.
> Jun  8 15:30:29 db184 3w-xxxx[29749]: INFORMATION: Verify started on
> unit 0 on controller ID:2. (0x29)
>
> I have tried regex entries and all sorts and still cant get anything out
> of it and I'm going crazy. 'verify' is part of a string that comes out
> when you start a verify on the 3ware raid controller in that server. The
> man page says the matching string is case insensitive but I have tried
> it with proper case also.
>
> Can someone please help point out the stupid thing I'm doing as I'm sure
> the log file monitoring does actually work :)
>
> Cheers
>
> Allan

> hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk

Extract of hobbit-clients.cfg man page:

      Note that Hobbit defaults to  case-
      insensitive  pattern matching; if that is not what you want,
      put "(?-i)" between the "%" and the  regular  expression  to
      turn  this off.

Try this:

LOG /var/log/messages %(?-i)verify COLOR=yellow

Dominique
UNIL - University of Lausanne