[hobbit] how to only generate server or client binaries ?

T.J. Yang tj_yang at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 30 04:41:20 CEST 2006

>From: henrik at hswn.dk (Henrik Stoerner)
>To: hobbit at hswn.dk
>Subject: Re: [hobbit] how to only generate server or client binaries ?
>Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 21:45:25 +0200
>
>On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 11:21:44AM -0500, T.J. Yang wrote:
> >
> > Looks like even I specify "configure --server ...', "gmake install" also
> > generate client binaries.
> >
> > Am I doing somthing wrong ?
>
>Client binaries are always built. Even on a Hobbit server, you'd
>probably want to run the client-side tools as well.
>

>Henrik

Henrik
Thanks for the reply.

I am interested to replace my bb deployment with hobbit one.
I need to create hobbit server (for linux)and client packages(for
solaris,hpux,linux).

May I suggest that in the future split the server and client binaries in a
more cleaner way(IMHO).
configue as server should only generate server binaries. if one want client
binary we then run "configure --client" to get it.
For now I can get by deleting /opt/local/hobbit/client directory after
server install.

Also is it possible that you can have client and server reside at same level
as hobbit ?
like /opt/local/hobbits( for server) and /opt/local/hobbitc (for client).
the will make packaging more streightforwad  to deal with removal of client
installation path.

My idea installation path structure is like this

/opt/local/hobbits
  -bin
  -man
  -doc