[hobbit] iostatcpu & iostatdisk graphs

Scott Walters scott at PacketPushers.com
Sun Jul 23 19:49:23 CEST 2006

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006, (Henrik Stoerner) wrote:

> Doing so will require some new logic in Hobbit to decide which
> of the many sources of load-measurements to use - e.g. vmstat
> or sar data could provide some of those same data. We need to
> rethink how to collect and present these data.

Something to keep in mind, vmstat does not take into account wait for IO,
whereas sar generally does.

If you have both sar and vmstat, prefer sar.  I wouldn't mix vmstat
"%busy" with sar "%busy".  You'd probably be better off with two seperate
rrds for vmstat and sar cpu info.

sar is usually not activiated by default, and is not always installed.
But it's great if you have it.

PS - You want to collect sar with 300 second samples just like vmstat.  A
two second sample interval would require a lot of modification on the
server side to create and display rrds with that granularity.

--
Scott Walters
-PacketPusher