[hobbit] Unwanted delay in hobbit alerts

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Jul 12 22:59:19 CEST 2006

On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 04:26:50PM -0400, Brian Bernstein wrote:
> It seems that hobbitd_alert for whatever reason, is sending alerts
> only once every half hour.
>
> In other words, if I was to test an alert as such:
> bbcmd hobbitd_alert --test [hostname] [test]
>
> It will immediately output that it found a matching rule, and states
> the action being taken
> (mail -s etc. . .), however, the notification will not come up in the
> notifications.log or in the mail server logs until either :06 or :36
> past the hour.

I don't understand. The "--test" option is a simulation; it doesn't
generate any alert messages.

I think what you're seeing is a *real* alert being sent out because
of a system that is down. The 30 minute interval between alerts
would match the default REPEAT setting.

> I have not tested to see if this happens when a machine actually goes
> down (the test in question for this particular alert), just with the
> test option in hobbitd_alert (actually, the host I've chosen for the
> test was already down).

Precisely. So you have a host that is down, and alert rules configured.
Then you get the alerts - not from the testing you're doing, but from
the Hobbit system.