[hobbit] Re: conn test periodically fails (fping execution code 99)

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Jul 6 23:47:47 CEST 2006

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 05:23:42PM -0400, Brian Bernstein wrote:

> Whenever fping is having no issue and bbtest is in a green status,
> the version is such:
> bbtest-net version 4.2-beta-20060605
>
> However, when the fping fails (as it has been doing every 3 minutes or
> so), resulting in the bbtest status to turn yellow,
> I get this version:
> bbtest-net version 4.1.2p1
>
> Is this a bug of the beta version of hobbit?

No. There's just no way that it can report two different versions
numbers from the same binary.

> Also, I've decided to try to use hobbitping as a replacement for
> fping, in hopes that perhaps that will solve my issue.
> Following the notes about how to use it, I replace the FPING line to
> the new destination, "$BBHOME/bin/hobbitping".
> However, I still get the same errors involving fping.  It is as if the
> FPING line in the config file has absolutely no effect.

It really sounds as if you have two hosts running the network tests.
Or one host with two instances of Hobbit.

Check the "bbtest" status. Near the bottom of the status is a line
"Message received from [IP-address]". Are they different from the
OK (green) status to the bad (yellow) status ? If yes, then you have
two machines doing network tests.