Network test time-outs

James B Horwath JamesHorwath at glic.com
Wed Jan 25 16:06:40 CET 2006

I am having an issue with Hobbit network tests.  There are times when
network or (client) system congestion causes a network test such as SSH to
fail.  The service is not down just slow, I receive a clear almost
immediately after I receive the down.  To keep my sanity I need the
network value upped.  In BB I was able to correct this by setting the
variables BBNETTIMER[1-3] to higher values.  I wasn't able to find such a
beast in Hobbit.  I opened the file bbtest-net.c and found the
int             timeout=10;                     /* The timeout (seconds)
for all TCP-tests */
and
int             extcmdtimeout = 30;

I do not use ICMP as a connectivity test, I use ssh for up/down, to me
that is more realistic.   I searched the mail archives and didn't find
anything. Can I up the values on the time-out to make the test not fail so
quickly?  Or anybody else have any suggestions on how to work around the
issue.

Please advise,
Jim

This message, and any attachments to it, may contain information
that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination,
distribution, copying, or communication of this message is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the
message and any attachments.  Thank you.