[hobbit] Telnet/ssh from Hobbit Display

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 09:01:40 CET 2006

I just found this:

   http://p3m.org/wiki?Firefox

which says that you can set up some user pref entries in Firefox to
handle new protocols, so I went to the "about:config" page and created
these entries:

   one "string" type:

      network.protocol-handler.app.ssh

   with the path to a script as it's value:

      /usr/local/bin/fox

   three boolean types, set "true", true" & "false" respectively:

      network.protocol-handler.expose.ssh
      network.protocol-handler.external.ssh
      network.protocol-handler.warn-external.ssh

A test page contains this link:

   <A href="ssh:10.10.10.10">My Server</a>

and the /usr/local/bin/fox script contains this:

   #!/bin/ksh

   OFS="$IFS"
   IFS=":"
   set $1
   PROTO=$1
   URI=$2
   IFS="$OFS"

   if [ "$PROTO" = "ssh" ]; then
     exec /usr/bin/xterm -e ssh $URI
  fi

Obviously the script could do with some data validation - this was
just for proof-of-concept.  The arg handed to the script is the whole
uri including the protocol, so it could handle multiple protocols.

Anyway, when I click on the link, a new xterm window pops up with a
ssh session to my server.  I suppose if your desktop is running
Windows, the script would need to fire up putty.exe or something
similar.

Ralph Mitchell

It seems to work OK with Firefox-1.0.7 in Gentoo Linux.