[hobbit] purple clients problem

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Jan 12 07:49:31 CET 2006

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 02:24:38PM +0100, Longina Przybyszewska wrote:
> >On the server, login as the hobbit user and run
> >   bbcmd hobbitd_channel --channel=client cat
> >
> >When the client sends a message, you should see it dumped to the screen.
> >If it does, then at least the client message arrives OK on the Hobbit
> >server, and the server recognizes the client hostname OK.
> >
> >If you don't see any such message, then the hostname that the client
> >reports is not listed in bb-hosts - you can see the "ghost" hostname
> >in the status for the hobbit servers' "hobbitd" column.
>
> I did the test, and I could see that the purple machines were not polled
> by the server!

Please try setting BBGHOSTS to "2" in hobbitserver.cfg. Restart Hobbit,
and after 10 minutes check the "hobbitd" column on the Hobbit server.
Are there any hosts listed there ?

> So, I made another test, where in  bb-hosts file were _only _ servers
> and purple worksations . All  purple workstations turned green now.
> The one failed to show (cpu|disk|memory|procs) -  and only showed green on
> network tests (conn|info|trends).

Which indicates that your workstations are either not sending data to
Hobbit, or they are sending it with the wrong hostname.

> hobbitd_client runs with --debug option, and the clientdata.log says:
> ----
> 2006-01-09 11:35:17 Semaphore wait aborted: Interrupted system call
> 2006-01-09 11:35:49 Setting up client channel (id=7)

I think you put the "--debug" on the wrong part of the command in
hobbitlaunch.cfg. It must be at the end, like this:

CMD hobbitd_channel --channel=client --log=$BBSERVERLOGS/clientdata.log hobbitd_client --debug

Because this is debug output from the hobbitd_channel tool, not
hobbitd_client.

But do the ghost-check first.