[hobbit] Agentless clients

Scott Walters scott at PacketPushers.com
Thu Jan 5 22:04:38 CET 2006

> You can easily combine 1) and 2). Running something like this on the
> client-polling server would do it:

Wow, I should have known the hobbit client would have been this clean
already ;)

Real world:

[hobbit at myhost bin]# cat hobbitremote.sh
#!/bin/sh -x

CLIENT="myclient"
CLIENTOS="aix"

echo "client $CLIENT.$CLIENTOS" >/tmp/msg-$CLIENT.txt
ssh bb@$CLIENT < /usr/local/hobbit/client/bin/hobbitclient-$CLIENTOS.sh
>>/tmp/msg-$CLIENT.txt
#$BB $BBDISP "@" </tmp/msg-$CLIENT.txt

[hobbit at dev1 bin]# time ./hobbitremote.sh
CLIENT=aixserver
CLIENTOS=aix
+ echo client aixserver.aix
+ ssh bb at aixserver
Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.
ksh[39]: top:  not found.

real 0m7.525s
user 0m0.120s
sys  0m0.010s

Seven seconds.  But I am pretty sure 5 of that is the ps of the machine.

Needless to say, this would need to be parallel processed to handle
scaling, but its awesome how easy the proof of concept was.

--
Scott Walters
-PacketPusher