Moving to new Hobbit server

ZanDAhaR allan at zandahar.net
Tue Feb 28 06:56:12 CET 2006

Hey guys,

Can't seem to find anything on this but then again I haven't gone
through all the results that come up on the mailing list search either.

We moved from BB server to a Hobbit server a while ago but it was on the
same box so there was no issue there. We are shuffling some old hardware
around and decided to give our hobbit server some more grunt and also
add some other odd apps on it. We'll want to progrssively move the hosts
over to the new server so the clients are cool, just update the ip in
windows ones, and the ip and hostname in the nix ones

As for the server I'm assuming I can just copy the data dir over for the
host I'm moving. I cannot imagine there being anything server specific
in any of the status messages or graphs ?

So action plan would be, shut down client on XYZ, define it in bb-hosts
file on NEWHOBBIT, has it out in the OLDHOBBIT bb-hosts file, copy
appropriate data folders from OLDHOBBIT to NEWHOBBIT (update ownership
if need be), update ip addy and hostname in XYZ client settings, start
client XYZ, be happy :)

Any flaws in this thinking or suggestions of easier way even though I
cannot imagine one can you please let me know

Thanks

Allan