[hobbit] Logfile monitoring - I'd like some comments

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Feb 15 07:50:15 CET 2006

Hi Rolf,

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 07:30:11AM +0100, Rolf Schrittenlocher wrote:
> Hi Henrik,
>
> that sounds wonderful, your ideas are pretty good.

Thanks.

> I have one suggestion and one point to think about.
>
> For monitoring application-logs the config file soon would become very
> complex and likely unreadable. There it would be nice if there is a
> possibilty for include-files. So general definitions -e.g. for
> OS-related logs - would be made in the general config  file, all the
> individual stuff in <host>.config files.

That would make sense, I agree.

> Second, there are logs which change their names once the server or the
> application stops. So a "message.log" might become "message<date>.log"
> while there is a new message.log now. Still the last informations in
> "message<date>.log" are relevant, especially if the reason for the new
> log was a crash of the application. I don't know how to deal with this
> situation as there are multiple ways how logs might change their names
> but perhaps others have an idea of how to do that.

It's something I thought about too, although my concerns were with logfiles
that get rotated at a specific time of day, not those that change when
an application restarts. But like yourself I couldn't find a really
good solution.

The file being renamed is not the only problem - it may get compressed,
moved to a different directory, ... lots of ways for it to get lost.

So - if anyone has a bright idea, do speak up.