[hobbit] Memory Test on OS X (Darwin)

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Feb 13 21:47:54 CET 2006

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 03:02:44PM -0500, David Gilmore wrote:

> I installed the hobbit client on an OS X 10.4 server and found that memory
> was not being reported.  I setup the bb-memory.sh script on the server and I
> get the following:
> Memory routine not defined for this operating system (Darwin).
> I thought this to be strange since the original bb-memory.sh supported BSD
> and OS X/Darwin was built on OpenBSD.  Does anyone know of a fix or work
> around?

Even though Darwin has some roots in BSD, it is not a BSD kernel. And
memory statistics is where OS's vary the most.

The Hobbit client does use Darwin's "vm_stat" command to collect some
memory statistics, but I cannot remember exactly which. If you could
provide an example output from this command, or any other commands that
would be useful to estimate memory utilization, that would be helpful.