[hobbit] Messages file not reporting

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 17:21:04 CET 2006

One thing to watch out for would be multi-line log messages.  I don't know
about Linux, but Solaris certainly reports some device messages with WARNING
or ERROR on the first line, and the actual device on the next line with more
information.  Where I work, the jokers that set up CA Unicenter made it
detect WARNING & ERROR  and had the agent send "Disk error" messages to the
console, and never mind that the device was /dev/st0 (scsi *tape*) and it
just wanted cleaning, or a fresh tape...

I seem to recall that the second and subsequent lines were indented a couple
of spaces.  Kinda like Linux seems to do, such as in the lines right after:

   BIOS-provided physical RAM map:

and several other places in the boot messages.

Ralph Mitchell