[hobbit] Messages file not reporting

Allan.Marillier at dana.com Allan.Marillier at dana.com
Fri Feb 3 14:41:13 CET 2006

Hi Edward - I understand your frustration - I've been through the same
things myself, and also initially not found the FAQ indicating that syslog
monitoring is not yet supported. I believe that Henrik is making it a
priority since so many of us are asking for it but there is no news yet or
commitment from him on when it will be available.

I searched deadcat.net and didn't find anything that looked worth using to
me, but I may have missed it. One thing I have been working on, but I've
had a few problems, is writing a custom extension. The extension itself is
very easy to do - e.g. I have written two for my Linux servers, one to run
some sql code to attach to an Oracle instance and report green if it is up
or red if it is down, and another to check LAN adapter settings and turn
yellow if it is not set to 100Mb full duplex. I have been working on a
syslog monitor which looks at /var/log/messages, checks the inode to be
sure logrotate has not run, and then uses tail to parse the last n lines.
I determine n by checking how many lines are in the file with wc and
recording that to a file on disk, then later come back and do the same
again. If the inode is the same, and wc -l returned 1000 but now returns
1057, then I do tail -n 57 /var/log/messages | grep -i error and look for
any problems.

The problem I've encountered is that sometimes the inode changes. Yes, it
really does and I'm not crazy, give it a try on Linux. Copy
/var/log/messages, then ls -al -i the copy. Edit it with vi, even if all
you do is open, then write and quit with no actual changes, and more often
than not, the inode will change. I don't understand it. If I can get this
working I'd be happy to share my custom extension with you - or maybe you
will have some ideas on a different and more robust approach.

I'm assuming of course that you're Unix/Linux based, which is not always a
good assumption!

Edward Croft <ecroft at openratings.com>
02/02/2006 05:16 PM
Please respond to
hobbit at hswn.dk

hobbit at hswn.dk
cc

Subject
Re: [hobbit] Messages file not reporting

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 22:31 +0100, Etienne Roulland wrote:

Edward Croft wrote:
> Why thank you. I did find the one line:
> It does not currently provide any data for the system-log "msgs" column.
>
> That is all it says. Does not currently. Sooooo when can it be
> expected, if ever?
> This one thing prevents me from using it as the programs that monitor
> our systems
> write warnings into the log file which currently gets picked up by big
> brother and an
> alert sent.

You can use external script from http://www.deadcat.net/ to monitor your
logfiles.

hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk

Thank you. I appreciate your response.

--
Edward M. Croft
Sr. Systems Engineer

This e-mail, and any attachments, is intended solely for use by the
addressee(s) named above.  It may contain the confidential or
proprietary information of Dana Corporation, its subsidiaries,
affiliates or business partners.  If you are not the intended recipient
of this e-mail or are an unauthorized recipient of the information, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying
of this e-mail or any attachments, is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender
by reply e-mail and permanently delete the original and any copies
or printouts.

Computer viruses can be transmitted via email. The
recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the
presence of viruses. Dana Corporation accepts no liability for any
damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.

English, Francais, Espanol, Deutsch, Italiano, Portugues:
http://www.dana.com/overview/EmailDisclaimer.shtm