[hobbit] More than just green/red for HTTP cont= tests?

Rolf Schrittenlocher Schrittenlocher at rz.uni-frankfurt.de
Fri Dec 29 07:54:51 CET 2006

Hi Gary,

> Maybe I missed it, but I couldn't find this question anywhere in the
> hobbit mailing list archives...
>
> Is there a way to have multiple HTTP cont= tests for a single web
> page, that are for different
> content checks for a different status color?  I currently have Hobbit
> monitoring several
> webpages which themselves are like mini-Hobbit display pages.
> Depending on the status of
> those pages, I'd like hobbit to display either green, yellow, or red.
> Currently, the cont= test
> only checks if the content exists; if it does, it's green, otherwise,
> it's red.
>
> What I'm thinking is, is there a way to say something like
> cont[=column];url;[expected_data_regexp];[alternate_data_regexp]
>
> Where if "expected_data_regexp" is matched, the status is green.  If
> it isn't matched,
> it tries to match "alternate_data_regexp".  If *that* is matched, the
> status is yellow.
> If neither are matched, the status is reg.
>
> Also, let me know if you all think this is going a little beyond the
> scope of Hobbit.  Perhaps
> I should be doing this test with an external script, rather than using
> an http cont= test.  The
> only problem would be, I'd have to make the script be able to read and
> parse an http page...

I don't know if cont can do what you want, but I assume: No. Your last
point seems to be faisable. You might use e.g. wget to store the
http-content in a tmp-file and then you could analyze it with a simple
grep or something more sophisticated.

kind regards
Rolf

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Rolf Schrittenlocher

HRZ/BDV, Senckenberganlage 31, 60054 Frankfurt
Tel: (49) 69 - 798 28908   Fax: (49) 69 798 2881
LBS: lbs-f at mlist.uni-frankfurt.de
Persoenlich: schritte at rz.uni-frankfurt.de