Bb-hosts unmanageable

Strandell, Ralf Ralf.Strandell at silja.com
Fri Dec 22 09:21:11 CET 2006

Hi

Would it be possible to

1) Split bb-hosts into "hobbit-tests" (test config) and "hobbit-display"
(display structure, use names given is hobbit-tests). Keep bb-hosts as
fallback...

(We do testing by ip so that we can rename our targets with
**descriptive names** in bb-hosts and also monitor the network during
dns-failures. Not all IPv4 devices have a hostname either. We also have
"hosts" that are clusters and should go red only if ALL associated ip's
go red. We have VPN-tunnels, that go red if certain criteria are met -
even if pings to remote site work...through backup lines. All this
complexity calls for an abstraction layer on top of possible DNS-names.
That again requires the separation of the probes from the presentation).

2) Let us "include subpage filename" to cut these files into smaller,
more manageable pieces. I don't like my 500 line structureless config
file.

3) We would need two main VIEWS:
3a) infrastructure view: keep routers/switches on one page (&subpages),
keep UPS'es on another page (the Power Page), keep servers on a third
page and so on.
3b) business process view: group gateways, switches, UPSes, servers,
printers by site or by business process
Because of this we would like to have a separate hobbit-display. Writing
EVERYTHING twice, the other half with noconn, is a nightmare. I get paid
for this, but still...