[hobbit] Configuration database backend.

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Fri Dec 8 16:52:02 CET 2006

On Friday 08 December 2006 14:21, Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> I'm very much against requiring a database to be running for Hobbit to
> work. The basic configuration-files (bb-hosts, hobbit-alerts.cfg and
> hobbit-clients.cfg) should be accessible without relying on any
> extra infrastructure components. Too often, those break just when you
> need your monitoring the most.
Totally agree.  The idea was to create a web based frontend that stores the
information "somewhere" (mysql or SQLite of xml) that generates the needed
config files.

If I can convince some other people (one of them is my boss), you may expect
lots of questions (and hopelly patches) the next few months ;)

The idea is to install a management server at our customers.  This will be
running hobbit and a mysql database.  Hobbit will be used for real-time
monitoring and short-term trending.  The mysql database will be updated by
hobbit and every night synced to a central server.  This central server will
be used for inventory and long-term trending.
The monitoring is for AIX servers running Oracle software and Tivoli Storage
Manager.

On my todo-list:
- web based driven configuration
- external collection of status messages and trending
- mis use of hobbit and data channels for communication
    -> can this be protected with ssl or something else ?
- lots and lots AIX and Oracle addons
- documentation of everything I'm trying to understand

If anyone has already something on this list or can/will help, please contact
me.

My major problem is that I can not program in C.  I know perl fairly well.

Stef