[hobbit] Configuration database backend.

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Fri Dec 8 16:32:59 CET 2006

On Friday 08 December 2006 14:05, Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> Be careful with the status messages, at least if you want to store the
> current status in a DB. Historical status messages - those that are
> currently stored in the histlogs/ directory - are OK, but for the
> current status log I think that the overhead associated with updating
> each status log in a DB every 5 minutes will be very high. And the
> number of times you'll actually be retrieving these data will probably
> be very small.
Today I could have used such information.  One of our servers went down, out
of memory status.  No way to know the process that did this.

> Copying the historical statuslogs (or the current ones) is very easy to
> do with an extra Hobbit worker module hanging off the "status" or
> "stachg" channels. You do not need to make any modifications to Hobbit
> itself - you basically run "hobbitd_channel --channel=stachg MYDBPROGRAM"
> and your program is fed all of the status messages on it's STDIN.
Is there any information about the channels?  I know there is also a notes
channel, but I couldn't find any (usefull) information how to use this.  Same
for the data channel.  I want to "misuse" the hobbit communication to send
extra information.

> As for the trends data, I believe there are some patches to the rrdtool
> library that will let you store the RRD files in a DB. Check the rrd-users
> mailing list.
Thx, I will take a look at it.  Otherwise, patching create_and_update_rrd in
do_rrd.c is not that hard so an external command can be called.

> My personal favourite for a DB backend would be SQLite, since this
> eliminates all requirements for an external DB ressource. You don't
> want your monitoring to stop working when the DB becomes inaccessible.
The same mysql database will be used for other stuff.

Stef