[hobbit] All network test suddenly purple

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Tue Dec 5 18:28:03 CET 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 18:09 +0200, Strandell, Ralf wrote:
> It was neither the IPC resources. The output of IPCS looks similar
> before and after a restart/recovery. So, if it wasn't
> disk/memory/cpu/ipcs, then what? I can't build an enterprise class
> monitoring system that just shuts down without any known cause.
>
> What kind of filesystem access does Hobbit need? I have a bad habit of
> restricting access... Oh yes, I had chosen "paranoid" filesys security
> just because it was possible.

Ah, the old "msec changed my permissions to something completely bizzare
and now it won't run" problem.

I put hobbit clients in the adm and ntools groups, and change the
permissions on /etc/mandriva-release and /var/log/messages to be able to
be read by the adm group (in /etc/security/msec/perm.local).  Also, for
server, hobbitping has to be installed setuid (just like fping).

Hobbit server needs at least to be able to write to its subdirectories
in /var/lib/hobbit/...
Look for a corefile - if it crashed, there will be a core
in /var/lib/hobbit/server/ or maybe a level deeper.

And check disk space: use the `df` command.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281, CNX
Austin Energy