[hobbit] printer monitoring v. static bb-hosts

Chapman Flack hobbit at anastigmatix.net
Sat Dec 2 18:06:13 CET 2006

Rich Smrcina wrote:
> Since CUPS (as a print server) would run on one or multiple hosts, why
> not just one column, CUPS?  Then when the icon is clicked, the various
> queue statuses for that host listed on the page.

So if I understand what you're suggesting, it's something like:

      CUPS hosts:
   host      conn     cups
 -------------------------
 cupshost1    grn      yel
                        `-clik!-.
			         -> Queues on cupshost1
				    queue     run    acc   njob
				    ---------------------------
				    laser1    grn    grn   grn
				    laser2    grn    grn   grn
				    laser3    grn    grn   yel
				    laser4    grn    grn   grn

I guess my question is more about how to produce the 'queues on
cupshost1' page. A quick'n'dirty way would be to just have the
icon on the 'cups hosts' page link directly to the CUPS server's
own printers/ url. That would basically work and provide the
information, but not in a condensed Hobbit-like form. Another way
would be to create the page tag and group tag in bb-hosts in the
usual way and redundantly declare all the queue names in it, which
is what I was looking for a way to avoid. I suppose another way
would be for the ext script to generate the corresponding html
itself as the message it sends with bb for cupshost1 ... but even
if that can work it sounds like a brittle approach with a lot of
duplicated effort.

Or did you have another approach in mind that I've overlooked?

Thanks,
-Chap