[hobbit] dialup directive not implemented?

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Aug 8 17:35:10 CEST 2006

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 09:03:04AM -0500, Mike Serra wrote:

> I have a simple question about the "dialup" directive in bb-hosts, the
> one that is supposed to come immediately after a page or subpage
> directive, and is used to ping a range of hosts, like a modem pool.  Our
> sysadmin tells me that he read (in a man page online?) that this
> directive is not implemented.  And it's acting like it isn't: we can't
> get it to do anything, despite trying every possible syntax that could
> make sense.  But on the other hand people online talk about this as if
> they're using it just fine.  So -- is it implemented?  We are using
> hobbit version 4.2-beta-20060605.

It was implemented some time ago, but I've had reports coming in over
the past couple of months that it doesn't work in the 4.2 test releases
that are out. I then asked if anyone was using it, because if not I'd
prefer to just rip it out instead of trying to fix it - and so far
noone has stepped forward to say they really need it.

So ... do you need it ? If people want it, I'd really rather implement
it quite differently than the old BB implementation - as a normal
network test associated with a host, e.g.

    0.0.0.0   vpnpool.foo.com  # iprange=172.16.1.1-172.16.1.100