I found my RRD weirdness with illegal updates (2 in same time) - probable idea or fix required to resolve

Brodie, Kent brodie at mcw.edu
Wed Aug 2 19:49:36 CEST 2006

Hi everyone.   Some time ago, I asked about this:

2006-08-02 12:24:50 RRD error updating
/home/hobbit/data/rrd/taylor.brc.mcw.edu/disk,root.rrd from
141.106.224.178: illegal attempt to update using time 1154539490 when
last update time is 1154539490 (minimum one second step)

Nobody had anything useful for me, because there could be tons of
causes....   However, just now, I finally figured it out.

Seems that the previous sysadmin decided to create a home directory for
"root" to store all his files (tarballs, etc).   It was mounted as
simply, "/root".

This is all perfectly valid, *UNTIL* we get to rrd and disk usage.

Within the realm of hobbit and rrd, the actual root file system ("/") is
stored in rrd as /home/hobbit/data/rrd/taylor.brc.mcw.edu/disk,root.rrd

When the client system had both "/" and "/root", this had the nifty side
effect of causing hobbit'd RRD environment to become confused--   that's
why I had an extra graph that had a placeholder, but nothing was being
generated!   That's because I had 17 mounted filesystems, which (divided
by 4) is 5 graphs.   But the 5th graph never showed up, and I looked
carefully and figured out it was "/root" that wasn't being graphed.
That's when the lightbulb went off.      Two file systems "/" and
"/root" were being called the same thing in terms of rrd:  "root".
Oooops.

SO..........        While I decided to simply move the "/root" crud to
somethere that made more sense...    I have apparently tripped upon
something that hobbit+rrd isn't prepared to deal with, which is a file
system called "/root".    While I think this would be rare, it's
possible.    Not sure how it would be handled?   Maybe call the "/" file
system "root~" or include some other special character in the name?

Kent C. Brodie - brodie at phys.mcw.edu

Department of Physiology

Medical College of Wisconsin

(414) 456-8590