[hobbit] Question from a Hobbit n00b

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Apr 28 12:29:03 CEST 2006

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 11:05:59AM +0200, Einar Eliassen wrote:

> I'm looking for a way to monitor thin clients. Several thousand thin
> clients.
>
> The most important information I need to gather is:
>
> - is the client online ?

How is this determined - presumably the client has an IP-address so
you can "ping" the client ?

> - is the client running citrix client ?

Again, how is this determined ? It might depend on the platform
(operating system) these thin clients run, but if there is some
form of process (Unix, Windows) or Windows service which the
Hobbit client can check, then it should be possible.

> I would like to get this graphed. One graph for online clients and one graph
> for how many clients are running the citrix client.

Hobbit doesn't currently count hosts, but it would be something like
a 20-line shell script to implement this.

> I should also be able to collect this information on demand.

The counts or the status from each client? The counts you can get
anytime you like, but the client status is normally only polled every 5
minutes.

> Is this possible with Hobbit ?

Probably, but I'd need some more information about what you want to do
before I can answer this definitively.