[hobbit] 4.2-alpha - disk tests

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Apr 10 17:43:01 CEST 2006

On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 04:00:34PM +0100, Morris, Chris (Shared Services) wrote:
> Henrik,
>
> Looking at the code in client-config.c module, it looks like the ability to
> test filesystems for absolute block, Kb, Mb or Gb limits rather that just
> %Used is already there, but the hobbit-client.cfg file does not explain how
> to code these tests.
>
> Am I correct, or just don't understand C?

You're reading the code correctly. The problem is you cannot configure
it currently.

The problem I ran into is that I haven't found a way of detecting what
metric is reported in the "df" output that the client reports. Here's
an example:

/dev/hda2             99511580  11417684  88093896  12% /

Now, it's ease to figure out that there's 12% used on my / filesystem;
even without the "Use%" column, I could just calculate
   (100 x 11417684) / 99511580 = 12

But how can I tell what metric is used for "99511580" and "11417684" ?
The heading does say "1K-blocks", but that varies quite a bit between
the operating systems. At worst, it could be "disk blocks" - often 512
bytes, but one never knows.

Configuring a limit of "yellow at 2 GB free" requires that Hobbit can
interpret the absolute values reported by the client, not just the
relative amount of free space. I don't know if there's a good way of
doing that, except to embed (more) knowledge about the various df's
into Hobbit. And I'm not terribly keen on doing that.