[hobbit] BBWin 0.5 available

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Apr 4 13:25:54 CEST 2006

Etienne,

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 10:32:06PM +0200, Etienne Grignon wrote:
> 2006/4/3, Fr?d?ric Mangeant <frederic.mangeant at steria.com>:
>
> > Hobbit (at least the 4.1.2p1 server) supports this syntax :
> >
> > HOST=%db.*.foo.com TIME=W:0800:1600
> >        LOAD 8.0 12.0
> >        DISK /db  98 100
> >        PROC mysqld 1
> >

> > This is an example taken from ~server/etc/hobbit-clients.cfg; I thought
> > it was supported by the 4.2-pre Hobbit client (which supports locally
> > configured clients), but I can't find it anymore...
>
> TIME=W:0800:16:00 means that from 16:00 to 8:00, every thing is understand
> as green ? is that right ? and yellow or red colors appears only between
> 8:00 and 16:00 ? Or, doest it means that between 8:00 to 16:00, the default
> rules are overridden by the special rules ?

Frederic is referring to the syntax you can use in the hobbit-client.cfg
file.

This is for configuring the client from a central location. If you can
make the client report its data using a "client" message like the Hobbit
Unix clients do, you'll get all of this automatically.

My idea with the clients is that they should just collect data, not make
any decisions about whether a status should go yellow, red, blue or any
other color. That's for the Hobbit server to decide. So the clients just
gather whatever data is needed, sends it off to the Hobbit server, and
a back-end module there generates the actual status messages from the
raw data that the client reports.

I know this is very different from how BB works. For people familiar
with BB, it usually takes a while to adjust mentally :-)