[hobbit] Hobbit client reporting question

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Sep 29 20:00:55 CEST 2005

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 12:22:24PM -0500, Scheblein, Adam wrote:
> I saw that the hobbit client reports back "who" information, and I was
> wondering what would have to be done to make it so that I could
> implement that reporting functionality server side.

Well, what would you like to do with it ?

Right now, the "who" output is used only to count the number of
logged-on users, which is then fed into the "users" RRD (available
in the "trends" column).

I haven't really thought much about what to do with the client data
apart from feeding it into the cpu/disk/memory/... status columns.
But the data is there, and can be used for whatever purpose you'd
like.

> Even if it is not
> coded yet, just point me in the right direction and I will come up with
> something (this way I don't feel like a slacker and actually contribute
> back to hobbit)

The simplest way of getting the client data is through the "bb" tool:

   bb 127.0.0.1 "clientlog localhost"

dumps the entire client message from the host "localhost" to stdout.
This is split into sections, like

   [uptime]
     19:59:52 up 4 days, 12:28,  2 users,  load average: 0.44, 0.22, 0.07
   [df]
    Filsystem            1K-blokke     Brugt   Tilbage Brug% Monteret på
    /dev/hda2             99511580   3604200  95907380   4% /
    /dev/hda3             47856164  37241288  10614876  78% /work

If you only want the "who" section, then you can use

   bb 127.0.0.1 "clientlog localhost section=who"

If you need more info, let me know.