Hobbit client checks

Dirk Kastens Dirk.Kastens at uni-osnabrueck.de
Fri Oct 14 09:37:53 CEST 2005

Hi,

"All configuration of disk thresholds, load limits, which
processes to monitor etc. is done on the Hobbit server,
NOT on the client. This is to allow centralized configuration
of the monitoring system."

I think, this is not a good idea. I told the administrators
of the client systems that they are responsible for what
BB will monitor. If they install a new program, they have
to add the process name to the bb-proctab file to check
if it's running. Now they have to inform me about what
should be monitored and I have to edit the hobbit-clients.cfg
file. That's a lot of work, apart from the fact that the
file will be growing very quickly.
Wouldn't it be possible to still use local configuration
files that are located in the client/etc directory?

Best wishes,
Dirk