Dumb hobbit network test question

Kauffman, Tom KauffmanT at nibco.com
Tue Nov 29 17:27:50 CET 2005

I've just done my tri-annual hardware shuffle, swapping out all my
on-lease RS-6000 for brand spanking new systems. Part of this included
upgrading from AIX 5.1 to AIX 5.3.

Now, on half the systems (the last set replaced) I get errors on the
smtp and ftp tests -- typically one test every two hours. Interestingly,
all these systems barf on the same test cycle. This is obviously
something not quite right in the AIX config, but I'm at a loss on what.
I just found out today that we also have production rsh scripts that
time out on the same cycle (yeah, I know -- but they've been rsh since
year dot, and getting them to ssh is real low on the list . . )

Here's a sample of the network test error:
Service ftp on hudson is not OK : Unexpected service response
Service smtp on hudson is not OK : Unexpected service response

How can I log the actual response? I'm currently running hobbit 4.03rc1;
that's scheduled to change sometime next week.

Other suggestions?

TIA --

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc