[hobbit] Hobbit client for Windows

Gerard Lill Gerard at ets.biz
Tue Nov 29 14:47:44 CET 2005

WMI.

I know nothing about programming; but - WMI.  Every server we monitor
and manage is running Windows 2000 server or later; which means we found
our common ground.

Peter - If you wanted to know who has been working on a hobbit client -
we have.

Attached is an implementation that runs as a windows service, checking
performance counters and passing results to the server.  The service is
designed to query an SQL server (yes - MS SQL :)), passing it's full
hostname as an argument, which returns a full list of WMI counters to
monitor, the address of the hobbit server to report to, the frequency,
whether to create a log file, and if so where.  (Basically, the client
is completely without any configuration, designed to up-date it's config
with every boot)

I agree we need someone to co-ordinate this effort to ultimately produce
the windows / windoze client that Hobbit is lacking.  One of the few
short-comings of Hobbit IMHO.

You can download the source at http://www.ets.biz/hobbitmonitor.zip -
it's under any licensing model you care to chose :).

Gerard Lill
T: +44 (0)20 8797 7799
F: +44 (0)20 8797 4725
www.ets.biz