[hobbit] NCV RRD weirdness

Jeff Stuart jeff at myinternetservices.com
Mon Nov 28 00:41:54 CET 2005

Jeff Stuart wrote:
> OK, so I've finally delved into the murky waters (ok so I had to make
> that sound scary and all fearsome and what not LOL) of writing my own
> Hobbit server extension script.  And as part of the script, it collects
> data.  I want to graph that data on hobbit.  So I set up the NCV
> stuff... problem is that it doesn't create the RRD file correctly.
> Here's the relevant entries from hobbitserver.cfg:
>
> TEST2RRD="cpu=la,disk,inode,qtree,memory,$PINGCOLUMN=tcp,http=tcp,dns=tcp,dig=tcp,time=ntpstat,vmstat,iostat,netstat,temperat
> ure,apache,bind,sendmail,mailq,nmailq=mailq,socks,bea,iishealth,citrix,bbgen,bbtest,bbproxy,hobbitd,qstat=ncv"
>
> # This defines which RRD files to include on the "trends" column webpage,
> # and the order in which they appear.
> GRAPHS="la,disk,inode,qtree,memory,users,vmstat,iostat,tcp.http,tcp,netstat,mrtg::1,temperature,ntpstat,apache,bind,sendmail,
> mailq,socks,bea,iishealth,citrix,bbgen,bbtest,bbproxy,hobbitd,qstat"
>
> #
> # Ok these columns are from qstat and are used to graph (I HOPE!) the
> columns via rrd.
> #
> NCV_qstat="avgping:GAUGE,curplayers:GAUGE"
>
> And that status message that gets sent is this:
>
> qstat status for host 123.123.123.123
> curplayers : 0
> avgping : 0
>
> IE my ext script does this:
>
> $BB $BBDISP "status $MACHINE.$COLUMN $COLOR `date`
>
> ${MSG}
> curplayers : $cur_players
> avgping : $avg_ping"
>
> Where $MSG can be changed depending on circumstances.
>
> However, when I dump the RRD file, I get this info:
>
> <!-- Round Robin Database Dump -->
> <rrd>
>         <version> 0001 </version>
>         <step> 300 </step> <!-- Seconds -->
>         <lastupdate> 1133107889 </lastupdate> <!-- 2005-11-27 10:11:29
> CST -->
>
>         <ds>
>                 <name> qstatstatusforhost6 </name>
>                 <type> DERIVE </type>
>                 <minimal_heartbeat> 600 </minimal_heartbeat>
>                 <min> 0.0000000000e+00 </min>
>                 <max> NaN </max>
>
>                 <!-- PDP Status -->
>                 <last_ds> 0 </last_ds>
>                 <value> 0.0000000000e+00 </value>
>                 <unknown_sec> 0 </unknown_sec>
>         </ds>
>
> Any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong?  This is on hobbit 4.1.2p1.
>
> (1038:38)$ rpm -q -a | grep hobbit
> hobbit-client-4.1.2p1-1.fc3.re
> hobbit-4.1.2p1-1.fc3.re

Ok... well it seems that I wasn't allowed to have my message as the
first line of the status report.  Once I removed that, it collected the
first data point.  IE curplayers.  But it's not collecting avgping.  Is
this correct?  Or should I send each of these data points as a data
message instead of in status?

--
Jeff Stuart
Network Admin