[hobbit] Re: Custom RRD graphs

Rich Smrcina rsmrcina at wi.rr.com
Sat Nov 12 18:22:41 CET 2005

To expand on this some and provide ultimate flexibility how about an
optional NCV configuration file?  When used, this file could be ordered
by TEST, with HOSTs being qualified, and appropriate pattern matching of
course (sort of the opposite of hobbit-alerts.cfg).  Each entry under
the test would contain the text to look for (it could be different for a
  test/host pair) and the graphing parameters for that specific
combination.  I would envision:

TEST=pg_util
  Page_Utilization,GAUGE,0:100
TEST=sp_util
  Spool_Utilization,GAUGE,0:100 HOST=vm1
  Queue_File,GAUGE,0:100 Data_File,GAUGE,0:100 HOST=^vse.* GRAPH=pqueue

Where the pg_util graph will look for the text 'Page_Utilization' and
graph the white space delimited value after it (after = or :).  And
sp_util will look for Spool_Utilization for vm1 and graph that data.
The graphing parameters will come from hobbitgraph.cfg (as usual), with
the default being the test name.  For hosts beginning with 'vse' it will
look for two values, Queue_File and Data_File and use the pqueue
graphing parameters.  Strange, but true, I have a column that has a
different number of data points with different names depending upon the
host (they are both considered spool utilization).

I certainly don't know all of the variations, but this may eliminate the
need for most extra tests.

--
Rich Smrcina
VM Assist, Inc.
rich.smrcina at vmassist.com

Catch the WAVV!  http://www.wavv.org
WAVV 2006 - Chattanooga, TN - April 7-11, 2006