Upgrading Hobbit Question

Charles Jones jonescr at cisco.com
Mon Nov 7 22:48:34 CET 2005

I upgraded a hobitt instance from 4.0beta4 (yes terribly old but it has
been working fine), to 4.1.2 (actually latest snapshot), and after the
upgrade the main page still said it was version 4.0beta4, even after a
new host that I added showed up on the display.

I was sure if it was a caching problem or what, so what I ended up doing
was saving a copy of bb-hosts.cfg ,hobbitalerts.cfg, and  to /tmp, then
I totally deleted the "server" directory and reinstalled, put the config
files back, fired up hobbit and all seemed well.

My question is, how does hobbit handle doing an upgrade? It didnt
replace my bb-hosts file, so apparently it is aware of the existance of
one different from the default and doesn't overwrite it...does it do the
same checks for the various files in the other subdirectories?

Maybe there should be a makefile option ("make upgrade-install") to
upgrade, that saves your config files but totally replaces all
preexisting hobbit components, to make sure nothing old is hanging
around, like I ended up having both a hobbit.sh and a starthobbit.sh
(the old one) in my server directory.

-Charles