[hobbit] Startup problem on FreeBSD

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Sun May 29 22:52:15 CEST 2005

Hi Arnoud,

On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 10:47:14PM +0200, Arnoud Post wrote:

> I think it's getting even more difficult looking at the following output:
> morpheus# sysctl -a | grep kern.ipc.sem
> kern.ipc.semmni: 10
> kern.ipc.semmns: 60
> morpheus# ipcs -s -a
> Semaphores:
> T     ID     KEY        MODE       OWNER    GROUP  CREATOR   CGROUP NSEMS
> s  65536    5432001 --rw------- postgres postgres postgres postgres     17
> s  65537    5432002 --rw------- postgres postgres postgres postgres     17
> s  65538    5432003 --rw------- postgres postgres postgres postgres     17
> s  65539   17897355 --rw-------    10010       bb    10010       bb      3
> s  65540   34674571 --rw-------    10010       bb    10010       bb      3
> s  65541   51451787 --rw-------    10010       bb    10010       bb      3

OK, so I think you're hitting the "kern.ipc.semmns" limit of 60 - that
does match the output from ipcs (3x17 for postgres, 3x3 for bb - Hobbit
- gives 60. So some of the Hobbit ones are missing).

> I'll have a go at google with your info...

This is the best one I've found yet. The kern.ipc.sem* sysctl settings
are "read-only", so apparently they can only be modified upon a reboot,
by listing them in /boot/loader.conf:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-sysctl.html